Before the consultation
A personal file
As soon as you contact the secretariat of the Centre for Medical Genetics (CMG) to make an appointment for a consultation, a member of staff opens a personal file for you. For this he/she needs the following information:
- First name and surname
- Address (of both partners if the addresses are different)
- Telephone number (ditto)
- Date of birth
- National register number(s) (for Belgian patients)
- If you are a member of a Belgian health insurance scheme: the name of your health insurance fund and your membership number
If you contact us in relating to a possible pregnancy or for a preconception consultation, the information on both partners will be asked for.
Family information and history
Are you contacting the CMG because there is a known genetic condition in your family? If so, collect as much information as possible beforehand and bring it with you to the consultation:
- Your family tree going back at least two generations, i.e.:
- Your generation (with any brothers and sisters),
- That of your parents
- Of your grandparents
- Any children that you already have
- The name and date of birth of your family members
- Any clinical and/or genetic reports on the family members who have the genetic condition
Continue reading below the family tree.
Click on the family tree for a larger image and in order to download it.
If you have already had tests beforehand, of course it’s best if you bring the results with you to the consultation. If you do not have them yourself, then the secretariat will get them for you.