You have no complaints or questions…
If you have no complaints or questions, then this is a preventive examination. The aim here is to avoid possible problems in the future.
You are not yet sexually active
If you are not yet sexually active, then no internal examination will be carried out.
You can discuss the following issues:
- Protection against pregnancy in the event of a relationship (contraception)
- Protection against a sexually transmitted disease (STD) in the event of a relationship
- Vaccination against human papillomavirus (HPV) if this has not happened yet
You are sexually active
If you are sexually active, then an internal examination may be carried out. Under normal circumstances, this does not hurt and only takes a few minutes.
The procedure is as follows:
- A smear is taken if necessary (cervical cancer prevention).
- A swab is taken to detect the presence of a sexually transmitted disease (STD). This is strongly recommended for adolescents as STDs occur more frequently in young people. Depending on your personal situation, a blood sample may be taken to detect other STDs.